The Great Attic Expansion Project 2005/2006First | Last Prev | Next List of Photos
05/17/2006 - Bookshelves
I was told to "go up with some cardboard and a pencil" and design the bookshelves. I wasn't given ANY parameters. When I asked for boxed-in cases with adjustable shelves the project manager told me that "wasn't in the budget". I didn't want another counter-top-height-desk disaster, so I asked if we could meet with the carpenter together so I wouldn't waste any more time dreaming up something else that "isn't in the budget" or is impossible to execute. So we all got together one morning and sketched it out. I got a call later that day that what we had JUST designed "wasn't in the budget." GAH! It's soooo irritating. For just over $200 more he was able to box in the shelves and add wood for the back and foot. We had to go with fixed shelves which is kinda irritating. The shelves were measured and fixed to maximize storage for DVDs, video tapes, and my CD notebooks. Books will just have to fit in as best they can. The bookcases are BEAUTIFUL, so we're happy except for wishing that the shelves were adjustable.